So I started sanding and painting them. Our family symbol is a triskelion, so I'm doing all four with a different triskelion design. And a different color. Lots of color. Wish me luck.
I have one done:
It's taking a bit of time, because for each one I have to:
- Sand every part. The paint doesn't stick to the laminate if it's not at least lightly sanded.
- Peel off any splintered laminate and putty the gap. And let that dry.
- Paint. And let that dry
- Move the legs and paint what I couldn't in step 3. And let that dry.
- Repeat 3 and 4, because it takes two coats.
- Paint on the triskelion (using a stencil). And let that dry.
- Touch up the stencil bleed. And let that dry
- Spray lacquer on the top since I'm using water-based paint and I want to wipe these things occasionally. And let that dry.
- Repeat step 8 two more times.